How to eat healthy when working from home
During these uncertain times, most of us are working from home and need to make some lifestyle adjustments. Many people may be struggling with consuming healthy snacks and meals, but the most important tip to remember is to plan ahead. Give meal prepping a try or ensure that you set some time aside to prepare healthy meals.
I’m sure many of you thought that because you are now working from home, it would be a lot easier to eat healthy because you would be at home with your fridge full of food and a fully equipped kitchen to prepare your meal. Unfortunately, as you have probably noticed that is not as easy as it sounds. We become so busy with work and chores that we forget to set out enough time to make a healthy meal or snack and this is when we reach for those convenient foods which are often high in saturated fats and added sugars with minimal nutritional value.
If you have been feeling this, remember that you are not alone.
Below are a few tips to stay healthy and eat healthy meals and snacks when you are working from home.
1. Make healthy snacks for the day readily available or prepare them in advance so that you can easily grab them.
2. Prepare your lunch the night before or make enough dinner so that you have leftovers for the next day
3. Wake up early enough in the mornings to eat a healthy and nourishing breakfast. Skipping meals can sometimes lead to one snacking on unhealthy foods throughout the day.
4. Cook in bulk. This means that you will not have to cook two or three meals everyday which can become very time consuming.
5. Avoid stocking up on junk food, rather buy healthy, nutritious foods when possible.
6. Take your lunch breaks and do not eat in front of your computer.
7. Ensure that you are drinking enough water throughout the day
8. Stick to a schedule and a routine when working from home
9. Have a morning routine. It is still important to get up, shower, get dressed just like you were doing before you were working from home
10. Set boundaries. Make a home office so that you have a designated area for doing your work.
11. Stay connected with colleagues, friends, and family to keep you motivated and in touch with the outside world.
I have personally found that having zoom meetings and video calls with my friends and family has been extremely helpful in keeping me motivated, productive and has been great for my mental and emotional well being.
I hope these tips will keep you motivated. Remember, no one is perfect, and it does take time to form a habit.
Take care of yourself and just take it day by day.